Monday, October 12, 2009

Convinced

When I was very little I was obsessed with Elvis, and the movie grease. In my mind, nobody was cooler than Elvis Presley. I would prance around singing “Jailhouse Rock” and “Summer Lovin’” in the leather jacket my aunt had bought me. I wanted to be a singer, just like Elvis, the king. I was convinced.
Shortly thereafter, I was introduced to The Doors. In my mind, there was nobody cooler than Jim Morrison. I would prance around singing “Light My Fire” with the blanket with a big picture of Morrison on it that my mother had bought me. I wanted to be a singer, just like Jim Morrison. I was convinced.
In kindergarten I saw the movie That Thing You Do, it changed my life. In my mind there was nobody cooler than the Wonders, and definitely nobody cooler than Guy “Shades” Patterson. I would bang on the toy drum set my parents bought me after I stressed its imperativeness to my aspirations to the beat of the movie’s title track. I wanted to be a drummer just like Guy Patterson. I was convinced.
In second grade I came across the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I purchased the album Californication and fell in love with it. In my mind, there was nobody cooler that Anthony Keidis. That year I decided to start a band. Much to my dismay, we never actually had a practice due to other members prior engagements. I would walk around the school halls singing “Scar Tissue” and “Otherside”. I wanted to be a singer, have bleached blonde hair, and tattoos, just like Anthony Keidis. I was convinced.
In third grade I became a fan of the band KISS. In my mind, there was nobody cooler than lead guitarist Ace Frehely. I even dressed like him for Halloween. I bought my first guitar and began playing. I started a band in which I played guitar called Midnight Railroad. We had one practice. This upset me because I wanted to be a guitar player just like Ace. I was convinced.
In 5th grade I was the captain of my hockey team. I wanted to be a professional hockey player. I was convinced.
I started a band in 8th grade called Crash. I decided to quit hockey and make music my main priority. I was going to sing, play guitar, and write songs for the rest of my life. I was convinced.

1 comment:

  1. this is really good! i like how you ended each paragraph a similar way. maybe you don't need to mention the hockey and keep it strictly music, but it could work either way. good job!

    ReplyDelete